Wednesday, June 25, 2008

my little muses

Being here in new york makes me ask why i like photography. Everyone goes into it for different reasons. In fashion photography I think there are plenty of people (and by people I mean men) who do it just cause they like photographing hott babes all day. And i guess thats okay.
One of the best things I will learn this summer is a better understanding of my purpose for photography. And I don't even know what it is but I understand it better now than before.
I took these six years ago on and around the day of my sister's first holy communion. Her hands in every single picture are the most beautifully posed hands i have seen in a long time... and I guarantee that if I didn't have a sister, I wouldn't be a photographer. They are THE most honest photographs I have, and this is the type of photography I like. Honest photography. There is something about the first picture and he close up picture of my mom that really touches me in the same way Steichen's photographs of his sister touch me. Sally Mann has the same essence in her photographs and Dan Winters has it in his personal work. They are just honest portraits of their little muses.

These are honest portraits of my little muses.











2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I <3 it!!!!

Anonymous said...

Is this my Sir Chin (Searchin for my baby)? Gorgeous. he was a looker and bad ass dog. none like him
Is this me with elda? I miss my smile. La locura. You are correct Heather when you mention being genuine and honest, it comes from the heart and from with in the most precious of times.